I am Christine Scott and I am the proud owner of Great Scott Dog Training Inc.
I am a Certified Dog Trainer who graduated from Animal Behavior College
with Honors. I am also an Animal Behavior College Mentor. I am a Certified Professional Dog Trainer through the Certification Council of Professional Dog Trainers®
. I am a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers and a C.L.A.S.S. (Canine Life and Social Skills) instructor and evaluator, as well as a member of the Pet Professional Guild.
I currently offer group classes in Suntree, Melbourne and West Melbourne (see Services and Locations
). I also offer private instruction with a large variety of behavioral issues in the privacy of your own home.
My methods are positive reinforcement based- meaning that training and behavior modification is based on a reward based system, rather than a punishment based system. (See "What Positive Reinforcement Is And Isn't" under Blogs
Christine Scott's training methods are primarily based on:
I believe that:
- Positive Reinforcement Training, believing that most training goals can be accomplished by using either positive reinforcement (food, toys, playtime, etc.) or negative punishment (time outs, loss of toys, etc.)
- Behavior Modification based on a reward based system, rather than punishment. Problem behaviors are best dealt with by teaching an alternative behavior (re-directing).
- Leadership exercises as well as owner education in the natural language and universal needs of all dogs.
- Dogs need fair, consistent leadership.
- Every dog can be trained.
- There is no such thing as a "quick-fix" for longstanding behavior issues.
- Just like people, dogs deserve a second chance.
- A proper exercise regimen and sufficient mental stimulation can go a long way in helping alleviate behavior problems.
- Problem behaviors should be dealt with by teaching an alternate behavior. See "Tell me what to do" under Solutions.
- The study of Animal Behavior, just like any other science, continues to grow and evolve and as a Dog Training Professional it is vital to continue to educate oneself on the latest trends and training methods in order to better serve ones customers.